Where to eat and In-Gîte Dining from our Gites in Brittany
All of the gîtes, with the exception of Stable, have sufficient facilities to cater and produce your own cordon bleu cooking. Stable has basic catering facilities and is recommended for those who want to take advantage of the many restaurants available in the area. We offer chambres d’hôtes (bed and breakfast) services to those staying in Stable, and any of the other gîtes if required, with a wide and excellent menu.
We are also aware that when you are with us you are on holiday and so may not want to drive to go out to dinner but equally don’t want to cook every evening.
Therefore, we offer a number of options, for a small additional charge, that you can take advantage of. Have a look at our current menu for our Three Course Supper below.
Restaurants (Close to our Gites in Brittany)
We have some wonderful restaurants very close to our Brittany holiday cottages. Lots of our local restaurants use only very local produce and create mouth-watering dishes.
Have a look below at our most local restaurants which are all very close to our gites in Brittany:
- Au Lac Restaurant – This restaurant is sited in the most picturesque of locations just off the beach on the Lac Du Drennec. Mercedes is the head chef at this charming, fresh and idyllic eatery. Au Lac Restaurant is just 2km from Kergudon gites and takes just 3 minutes by car. Alternatively a lovely walk from Saint-Cadou through the forest and along the shore of the lake will take about 40-50 minutes and is a wonderful way to start the day and then enjoy lunch by the lake. Au Lac Restaurant is open from Tuesday lunchtime thru Sunday lunchtime in the spring and summer. Please check out of season opening times. Reservations are recommended. tel: 0298240097
- Auberge Du Menez – For a real gastronomic treat the restaurant and bar in Saint-Rivoal (just 5 minutes by car) is an wonderful treat. Yann Le Grand is the head chef of this gem and creates beautiful dishes that are a treat for your taste buds and senses. Only a short distance from our gites in Brittany, Auberge Du Menez is a must when it comes to restaurants to visit in Finistere. Reservations are recommended. tel: 0298813494
- Pub St Hubert – In the centre of Saint-Cadou you will find our charming French bar/pub. More of a French bar than pub Cathy (Landlady) serves delicious local Breton beer as well as Crepes and a bar menu including fish and chips, burgers and sausages.
- Creperie De L’Argoat – Just opposite the church in Sizun (7km from Kergudon) you will find this charming creperie. The menu extends to steak and various other dishes which are all excellent and there is a weekly Moroccan couscous night.
- Milin Kerroc’h – With its own trout fishing pond, the old mill is a lovely spot just on the edge of Sizun town (7km from Kergudon) The menu and food is simple but good quality and it is a lovely spot to enjoy lunch or an evening meal. For current opening hours visit their website here: http://www.milinkerroch.com/
- Feel Good – Brasparts (12 minutes by car from Kergudon) is home to this quirky bar-restaurant-pizzeria-grill. We have had some excellent pizza in this place and there is a great atmosphere always. Feel Good is a little further from our gites in Brittany but worth a visit especially if you like good pizza. Have a look or contact them directly here.
Additional Restaurants for your holidays in Brittany France
We obviously cannot list all the restaurants around but there are many to choose from during your holidays in France and Brittany boast some of the most amazing produce and chefs. Here are some of our favourite restaurants that are not too far from Kergudon gites in Brittany:
- Le Viaduc in Morlaix (25 minutes by car) serves absolutely gorgeous food and is right in the heart of the medieval town and well worth a visit. Have a look at their website for opening hours and contact details. Restaurant Le Viaduc Morlaix
- Le Grande Café De La Terrasse in Morlaix has one of the most beautiful interiors harking back to the wealth of Morlaix in its golden age. Almost everything is home made and therefore the menu changes frequently. Excellent for both lunch and dinner or just a coffee in the sun. tel: 0298882025
- Les Bains Douches in Morlaix is in fact the old bath houses of Morlaix and is set in the back streets just next to the river. Traditional dishes with taste and ambiance, this is another great place to try especially in the evenings. Booking is essential as it is always full. For opening hours have a look at their website: Restaurant les Bains Douches
- Le Crabe Marteau in Brest (45 minutes drive from Kergudon) is a seafood and crab frenzy and is just an amazing experience, well worth the trip. Have a look at their website for more details: Restaurant Le Crabe Marteau Brest
- Chez Max in Quimper is tucked right back off the main street down an alley way and if often missed, but this place is a real gem oozing character and charm with gorgeous dishes. For lunch or dinner Chez Max is a treat and always excellent after a day shopping and visiting Manoir Kinkiz to buy your cidre! Restaurant Chez Max Quimper
- Les Arcades is the hotel restaurant in Roscoff and is our default eatery when we travel up. Roscoff is beautiful and the Arcades has a stunning vista from the sun room and terrasse. All the locals eat here which is testament to the quality. Restaurant les Arcades Roscoff
Three Course Suppers available in our Brittany holiday cottages
75 Euros per couple | 140 Euros for 4 people
Returning from a long day out away from Kergudon, or on an evening when you do not want to cook, we can prepare a 3 course supper for you to enjoy in your gîte, all made using local produce.
Selected from a menu of traditional French foods with a selection of English and European favourites, we will prepare a cold starter, hot main course and either hot or cold desert and deliver it to your gîte at an agreed time for you to serve and enjoy.
Made from fresh, locally sourced ingredients. Menu Diner 2019
Minimum 2 day’s notice is required. Unfortunately we cannot offer dinners on Tuesdays or Wednesdays. Please note that we cannot cater for more than one gite per night so we offer our suppers on a ‘first come, first served’ basis. Thank you for understanding.
We offer a chambres d’hôtes (bed & breakfast) service principally for those staying in Stable owing to its basic catering facilities however, breakfast is available to any of our guests.
Whether you enjoy a traditional French breakfast of coffee, chocolate, baguette and croissant; a European breakfast of ham, cheese and fruit; an English grill or something more exotic we will provide breakfast for you to eat in the comfort of your gîte.
For those who want to enjoy a day away from Kergudon, at the beach or travelling in the beautiful countryside of Finistère, we can prepare a fabulous picnic for you to take with you.
Presented in a traditional wicker basket with a picnic blanket if travelling by car, or in a backpack if cycling, we can prepare a picnic in consultation with you to include your favourite foods, sweet and savoury, with drinks.
Minimum 1 day’s notice is required.
For details of local restaurants and bars including links to Michelin guide restaurants please have a look at out ‘things to do’ page here: Restaurants and places to eat on holiday in Brittany.
You can also find details of other restaurants in Brittany here on the Telegraph Travel website: Restaurants in Brittany
For some information on tipping in France this is quite a good article: Tipping in France at Restaurants
Head (and only) Cook Dave
Some of my favourite memories are in France and most (if not all) involve food.
I was lucky enough to have worked just outside of Saint-Emilion in a luxury hotel, which I think is where I got the real bug for living in France.
As a serious lover of seafood, Finistère was the obvious choice when we thought about quitting the rat race and buying our gites in Brittany. With the absolute best Fruits de Mer in the world, juicy crab & lobsters, and delicious oysters it has been a joy to use fresh, local produce from Brittany.
Living in the Monts d’Arrée we have a wealth of organic farms close to our gites in Brittany, which provide us with high welfare meats and tasty vegetables. I have really enjoyed creating and developing traditional recipes from this extraordinary part of the world.
One of the first dishes that I developed was my Smoked Trout Tian This recipe has evolved since we first created it in 2015, but its essence is the same. Made with local Breton smoked trout, the dish has a deep flavour has is our best-selling dish for our Three Course Suppers.
It’s not just the food produce that is wonderful in Brittany. A local brewery in Morlaix makes a delicious Breton beer, Coreff. Creating a light and fresh summer beef dish initially presented me with problems, however my Summer Beef in Coreff Stew is also seriously popular on our menu. Packed with crunchy vegetables and melt in the mouth beef, this dish is always a crowd pleaser. Braserie Coreff Morlaix.
I also love making the deserts for our guests although our Local Cheese Board is always very popular. We have a wonderful Tomme which is made in Saint-Cadou (Ben’s favourite cheese) and some simply scrummy goats cheese from a farm just down the road in Hanvec. Our cheese board is served with seasonal chutney and pickles, which are all home made at Kergudon.
I have never referred to myself as a chef, I am a cook. I have no formal training (other than food hygiene). That said, I am not ‘self-taught’. I have learnt everything from my mum, my aunt and my grandmother (sorry, the men in my family have mostly taught me about wine!). I have always enjoyed making people happy with the food that I cook, either at a dinner party or a picnic. I enjoy creating tasty dishes so that people can relax and eat and chat and have a wonderful time. I hope I get the opportunity to cook for you and your family when you visit Kergudon.